Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Grin and Bare It

I am not sure if anyone has noticed, except one dear friend, I have not been blogging as much lately. After my friend called to ask if all was OK, I had a small meltdown. This may be going into the category of "too much information". But in the hopes of "keepin' it real", I feel full disclosure is of utmost importance.
So here it is folks, I am in a funk. There is no other way to describe this reality. I am not talking can't get out of bed funk, just a general lack of enthusiasm funk. I have been through these before, we all have. It just feels a bit magnified this time around because there is no specific reason. I am not pregnant, not nursing, not loosing baby weight for the 900Th time.

After talking to my friend today, reviewing some of the reasons for my funkiness, because doing that with Pete for 2 weeks straight has not been easy on the poor guy, I had a break through. I don't even think I shared this light bulb moment with her at the time, but I realized this is the first time I am homeschooling with a 1,2, and 3 year old. That's right 3 of the hardest ages under 1 roof, add in subtraction, multiplication, cursive handwriting, piano, poetry and not a moments peace and I think I may have some insight to the source of previous mentioned funk.


I hope I do not sound as though I am complaining. I really am not. Complaining would require way to much effort at the moment. Taking this funk one day at a time is about all I can handle right now.




What to do? I have been trying to figure that out for days now. I have some tricks that I pull out whenever I am feeling trapped in the "funk". Some of my tried and true "funk" remedies are as follows:

1. Look through old scrapbooks remembering what fun my life has been (oops, most of my scrapbooks have been burned. NEXT)
2. Try a new recipe to spice up the day and night (I have had a stomach virus for a week and food is no fun right now).
3. Pray
4. Keep busy (stomach virus making that hard to do)
5. FAKE IT TILL' YOU MAKE IT!!
6. Take a long weekend at an all inclusive resort with lots of hiking, running, sleeping and healthy food (something I have never tried but I imagine it would do the trick of funk removal)



I think remedy #3 and  #5 will have to do for now.
Happier Blogging to come...I promise!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. For me, the winter time is the h-a-r-d-e-s-t time to homeschool. You're stuck inside a lot and there's not a lot of fun things to do to keep you motivated. Plus, you've been at it for months with precious little breaks. Doing this with little ones too is maddening. It'll get better, at least you're getting over the bug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just wrote a post on my blog about this sort of thing. Check it out. I'm so glad to have you in my world right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is called the "February Funk" and all homeschoolers experience it to some degree. We southerners are lucky because we don't have the gray outdoors adding to it. Spring is very near, my friend, and will lift this "funk" away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. January + February = Funk. I don't have an answer for you, Lisa, but these are the months to be endured, plain and simple. Want to plan that Lenten retreat yet?

    We've had an usual amount of snow this year and schools have been closed a lot. My kids complain that they don't get snow days! But the bad thing for us is we've been occupying ourselves preparing for 4-H speeches this week, but "no school" = "no 4-H" so we don't even have that now.

    Sarah's speech is on "My Favorite State: Alaska" and she is going to sing the Alaska State Song as part of it. Well, we'll have another week to practice.

    God bless you,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lisa, I only read your blog sporadically, but that was the best post I have read by you because it was so honest and real. I often wonder how you make it and seem to do really well with all those little ones. I feel a little funky myself lately- I can always tell because I start to have fantasies of running away for awhile..you know, that resort option. It helps me if I have something to look forward to- maybe you can plan a little vacation? For me, even if it is far off, it helps to have something on the calender.
    Love, Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been funky here for about 14 months straight. Not sure what the issue is, but let me know if you figure yours out. Greg would LOVE to know! Keep on truckin' Lisa. You are an AWESOME MOM and a GREAT WIFE, a WONDERFUL FRIEND to many, and a really flat-out neat person. Keep your prayers going and this too shall pass. Hugs from AK!

    ReplyDelete