Friday, January 22, 2010

How Things Change


This was me just a few short years ago.  I look at these pictures and I can't even believe what has happened to me since.  I homeschool my kids...what?  Where did that come from?

I don't get mad when he comes home late for dinner when I am waiting to meet friends.  How did I grow into the type of wife that understands the world does not revolve around me?  When did that happen?  I would like to know?

When did I start to get excited because I saved $22 in coupons.  Not a big deal for some, but for me to clip, save and use a coupon is pretty big.  It  seems I used to go out of my way sometimes to pay more for things just because...who knows why?


There are so many things I still want to change.  It seems the list grows more and more each day.  But most of all I want to be a good example for my kids.  And if that means that when I am driving and a car pulls out in front of me I have to say , "That was a non-thinking", instead of saying "You #$%$@$%^!", then so be it!  Most of parenting is about  modeling good behavior.  That is why my kids go to bed by 7:00.  If not ...they would no longer see a model of good behavior.  Something happens to me once my time clock indicates it has been a  14 hour day.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right, Lisa. I was thinking about this also this week. My kids notice EVERYTHING I do, even though they're too polite (or afraid) to mention the not-so-good things. I had to apologize to them a couple of days ago for having spent too much time on the computer the day before (reflecting on that day's chaos I found the finger pointing at moi). They accepted my apology without protest, only with knowing nods.

    The greatest benefit of homeschooling, bar none, is having the gift of time with my children. It's not the math and English that matters in the end, it's the example of a godly life they need to see. I can't get that kind of teaching done in the leftover hours of an evening or weekend here and there. I need all day every day because as I've already seen with my eldest, they will be gone from me all too quickly (for my taste, not for his!).

    I once told you I'd never be homesick for Sitka, but, I have to admit, your pictures at Swan Lake tugged at my heart a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Sitka all the time. I think I quickly forgot the torture of the rain and isolation. But, when it comes down to it being in Sitka was a very special once in a lifetime opportunity for me and God wanted me to be there and meet you ...that I know.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures were taken right before you moved here...how can Molly look so young? It is amazing!

    --Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete