Monday, November 16, 2009

Girl Scout Lesson #1


My kids are the next generation of this family. They are the ones who will go on to tell the story that we all started. They will all sit around at our funeral and talk about fun things they remember doing when they were young. With this knowledge I have fun giving them memories worth remembering.

When Emily started Girl Scouts I was lucky to sit in on the first few meetings and one of the first things we learned was "friendships are made through experiences". I immediately recognized the brilliance of that concept. We feel more comfortable with people when we have memories and experiences to share and build on.


Knowing this, I came to Florida with the idea of helping Ben build new experiences with us without his mom. We all need to help this little guy "feel comfortable" through this nightmare. So, I did what any mom of an 8 yr old girl who just recently had a sleepover would do, I planned a FAMILY SCAVENGER HUNT.

I sent the cousins off with a pen and piece of paper. I told them to make a list of things we could find at the mall. We broke into groups and began our picture scavenger hunt. We had 45 minutes to do all the things on the list. The biggest challenge for me was being at the mall and NOT SHOPPING....AHHHH!





The best part for me though...laughing with my mom. I guess we are never to old to enjoy new experiences with the people we love!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, this is your best post yet! I love your mom! The scavenger hunt is such a neat idea--what a wonderful way to build those lasting family memories. Time to bite the bullet and get a camera. BTW, what kind of camera do you have? Your photos are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your mom, cutie. Glad you are enjoying your visit with family, even with the bittersweet conditions. Hope all is well. Look forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT idea! You're so much fun. No wonder God has given you so many kids--they are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete